Driving a bus for Capital Area Transit as a RELIEF TRANSIT OPERATOR is a very important and highly rewarding career that offers the opportunity to drive a fixed-route or paratransit vehicle depending on the needs of the organization.
Relief Transit Operators will be paid while in training to receive their CDL with “P” endorsement. (CDL Permit must be obtained prior to beginning route training).
This is a part-time position to start ($13.20 after training) with advances to full-time position based upon vacancies and seniority (Paratransit $13.20 – $16.49) (Fixed Route $18.80 – $26.85).
Qualified Applicants should:
- Be at least 21 years of age and have a valid Pennsylvania State Driver’s License at time of hire
- Have stable work history
- Have acceptable driving record (for further details see “Driving Records Requirements”)
- Have superior customer service skills including the ability to interact with individuals of various backgrounds and abilities, to problem solve, and to promote good passenger relations
- Have ability to read and speak the English language sufficiently to converse with the general public
- Be able to pass criminal background check, DOT Physical and DOT Drug Screening
- Must be available Monday – Saturday
- Safe and efficient operation of transit vehicles while following routes, schedules and all traffic regulations
- Informing customers about fares, routes schedules and operating rules
- Assisting customers using wheelchairs in boarding and exiting the vehicle
- Completing written reports
- Inspecting the bus or van before and after operation
- Prompt and regular attendance
CAT is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
How to apply for Relief Transit Operator:
Apply in person at:
Capital Area Transit
901 N Cameron Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101