Requests for Reasonable Modification by Passengers
CAT may make reasonable modifications to policies and programs to assist people with disabilities in achieving equal opportunity to enjoy all of its programs, services and activities. Anyone who requires an auxiliary aid or service for effective communications, or a modification of policies to participate should follow the guidance below.
Requests for reasonable modifications of policies and practices will be considered as follows:
- The reasonable modification policy applies to passengers who are disabled according to ADA and use of CAT Capital Area Transit services.
- The individual requesting a reasonable accommodation who desires a reasonable modification will be required to describe what he/she believes is needed to use the Transit service.
- Requests for reasonable modification do not have to be written; however, it is desirable that whenever possible, requests for reasonable modification will be made in advance.
- The individual requesting a reasonable accommodation must give his/her name, address, and phone number. The request itself must clearly state the CAT policy, practice or procedure for which a reasonable accommodation is being requested. Further, it must clearly explain what modification is being requested and why. The request for a reasonable accommodation does not have to use the specific words “reasonable modification.”
Process for Submitting a Request
- Whenever possible, the individual who desires to request a reasonable modification should make the request in advance and allow the Authority an opportunity to determine whether the request will be granted.
- Requests may be initiated by individuals using Fixed Route and Paratransit Services.
- Contacting CAT Customer Service: email@example.com or (717) 238-8304.
- Submit request in writing to: CAT Transit Attn: Chris Zdanis; Chief Operations Officer 901 N Cameron St. Harrisburg, PA 17101
Requests for accommodation and modification of CAT’s policies and practices may be denied only on one or more of the following grounds:
- Granting the request would fundamentally alter the nature of the CAT transportation services, programs or activities.
- Granting the request would create a direct threat to the health or safety of others.
- The request is not necessary in order for the individual to fully access the transportation services, programs or activities.
- Without the requested modification, the individual with a disability is able to fully use the services, programs, or activities for their intended purpose;
- Request creates an undue financial and administrative burden
In any instance in which a request is denied, CAT will take, to the maximum extent possible, any other actions (that would not result in a direct threat or fundamental alteration) to ensure that the individual with a disability receives full access to transportation services.
Process for Submitting an Appeal
If the passenger disagrees with the initial determination, an appeal may be filed. A request for appeal form is available by contacting Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org of (717) 238-8304. The form includes the procedure by which the Authority processes and responds to appeal.