1. Direction of travel To Downtown Harrisburg and From Downtown Harrisburg.
2. Major street intersections where CAT buses stop. These intersections are not the only places buses stop on a route.
3. Reading left to right, find the time when buses arrive at your stop and drop off at your destination stop downtown. If you want to board a bus at a stop located between two intersections listed on your schedule, please be at your stop at the time listed for the nearest previous stop.
CAT Bus Courtesies
We hope you’ll enjoy your ride. To help make it a pleasant trip for yourself and other passengers please observe the following guidance and courtesies while on the bus:
- Be at the stop 5 – 10 minutes early.
- Have exact fare – the driver carries no change.
- Pay when boarding and deposit your own fare.
- Senior Citizens have proper identification when boarding bus.
- Please do not eat or drink while riding the bus.
- Smoking on the bus is prohibited by law.
- Front seats are reserved for senior citizens and riders with disabilities.
- Pets are not allowed on the bus, except guide/service animals.
- Please use headphones when playing a radio, cassette or CD player.
- Strollers and shopping baskets should be folded and removed from aisles.
- An adult must accompany young children on the bus.
- Patrons should move to the rear of the bus to stand when all seats are filled.
- Please remain in you seat until the bus comes to a complete stop
Identifying Your Bus
All bus routes are numbered or lettered and named by its furthermost destination. The destination of each bus is displayed above the windshield and also to the left of the bus’s front door. It may also indicate a major road within its route. If you’re not sure you’re boarding the correct bus, the driver will gladly answer your questions.
Boarding the Bus
CAT bus stop signs or shelters are conveniently located throughout the system. In the metropolitan area, you can board a bus only at these designated locations.
You must have exact fare ready before boarding the bus. Your driver cannot make change. For convenience you may want to purchase a monthly pass or a multiple ride ticket.
If you live in a more rural area and cannot find a bus stop sign, call CAT Information Center at 238-8304 for the route and stop nearest you. CAT drivers will make flag stops at safe locations on the more rural routes.
Plan to arrive at the bus stop five minutes before the scheduled departure time.
Leaving the Bus
You should always signal the driver one block before the stop where you want to get off the bus.
To signal the driver, push the vertical strip found between each window or pull the cord located overhead. A bell will sound and the driver will stop at the next stop. If you are unfamiliar with the area, ask the driver to let you know when you are approaching your stop.
Remain in your seat until the bus has come to a complete stop and use the rear door to exit the bus.
If you need to take more than one bus to complete a one-way trip, you can buy a transfer from your driver while boarding. Transfers must be used within one hour and cannot be used for a return trip. To use the transfer, simply give it to the driver on the connecting bus.
A zone fare of 60¢ is collected as you board or leave the bus. When leaving Downtown Harrisburg, the base fare is collected when boarding and the additional zone fare collected when leaving. On trips to Downtown Harrisburg, both the base and zone fares are collected when boarding.
Going places other than around the Harrisburg metropolitan region? CAT can take you to HIA, Amtrak and the Capitol Trailways/Greyhound terminals with no parking hassles.