What is the CAT 2020 Plan?
Capital Area Transit System (CAT) is conducting a comprehensive assessment of its existing transit service and establishing a vision for what transit should be in 2020. This study is the first of its type in CAT’s 45-year history, and it comes at an important time for CAT. With declining ridership and pending budget deficits, CAT must rethink the way transit services are provided and look for new ways to provide efficient and effective public transit.
CAT 2020 Market Analysis
Just as businesses assess markets to identify customers, focus strategies, and prioritize investments, so do transit systems benefit from conducting market research to identify key market segments and demands.
This Market Analysis is an evaluation of where transit demand is located in the CAT service area. Specifically, this analysis examines:
- The underlying demand for transit services based on population density, job density, demographics, and other factors
- Major transit trip generators
- Where people are traveling from and where they are going
The Market Analysis is the first step in understanding the existing conditions in the CAT service area. This analysis identifies the target market segments for public transit and will guide investment priorities for CAT as part of the CAT 2020 effort.
For more information on the Market Analysis click here for a full version.
CAT 2020 State of the System Assessment
The State of the System is a complete assessment of the existing transit service conditions in CAT’s service area. This provides a foundation of the current opportunities and challenges faced by CAT as the organization seeks to develop a vision for 2020.
This State of the System report provides:
- A review of CAT’s existing bus transit service and operating characteristics.
- An assessment of CAT’s bus ridership at the service type-, route-, and stop-level.
- An assessment of challenges and opportunities with CAT’s bus system.
For more information on the State of the System Assessment click here for a full version.
The anticipated project timeline is show below:
For more information on the CAT 2020 Plan, click here for a project fact sheet.
At the first set of meetings in August, and through surveys on buses and online, we asked for input on the strengths and weaknesses of the current system. We asked about important destinations, bus stops, service hours, frequency, etc. Following that round of public input, the project team has created some potential options for route changes. Now we want to share those concepts with you, and further improve on them by listening to you. Please come to one of the meetings listed below to review the proposed changes and help us understand where we can make adjustments to meet your needs. We hope you will join us at either morning or afternoon session on Wednesday, October 30, 2019 or Thursday, October 31, 2019.
- Wednesday, October 30, 2019 from 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM at Strawberry Square, located at 320 Market St, Harrisburg, PA 17101.
- Wednesday, October 30, 2019 from 4:00 PM – 7:00 PM at Giant Food Stores Community Room, located at 3301 E Trindle Rd, Camp Hill, PA 170113
- Thursday, October 31, 2019 from 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM at Keystone Building, located at 400 North St, Harrisburg, PA 17120.
- Thursday, October 31, 2019 from 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM at Hamilton Health Center Highmark Community Room, located at 110 S 17th St, Harrisburg, PA 17104.
The meetings will be an open house format, so feel free to stop by as your schedule permits to review materials and provide comments. If you have any questions about the CAT 2020 Plan or the public meetings, please contact CAT at email@example.com
CAT 2020 first round of public meetings were completed on August 13th and 14th. Below you can find the dates, time, and location of the first CAT 2020 public meetings. We hope you can join us for the second round of CAT 2020 public meetings listed above.
Completed Public Open House Meeting
- Tuesday August 13th, 2019. 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. at Strawberry Square, located at 320 Market St, Harrisburg, PA 17101.
- Tuesday August 13th, 2019. 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at the Hampden Township Building located at 230 S Sporting Hill Rd, Mechanicsburg, PA 17050.
- Wednesday August 14th, 2019. 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at Strawberry Square, located at 320 Market St, Harrisburg, PA 17101.