What is the CAT 2020 Plan?
Capital Area Transit System (CAT) is conducting a comprehensive assessment of its existing transit service and establishing a vision for what transit should be in 2020. This study is the first of its type in CAT’s 45-year history, and it comes at an important time for CAT. With declining ridership and pending budget deficits, CAT must rethink the way transit services are provided and look for new ways to provide efficient and effective public transit.
CAT 2020 Public Meetings – Initial Information Gathering / System Design Concepts Discussion
The second round of public meetings for the CAT 2020 Plan were completed on October 30th and 31st, 2019. During the initial public comment period, CAT worked with the consultant team to hold an initial set of meetings in August 2019 and administer surveys on board buses and online, asking for input on the strengths and weaknesses of the current bus system. In addition, riders were asked to give input related to important destinations, bus stops, service hours, frequency, etc. Following the first round of public input, the project team created various system redesign concepts that were shared publicly to get additional feedback from the community.
Each concept that was presented during the October 30th / 31st public meetings can be found below.
CAT 2020 Market Analysis
Just as businesses assess markets to identify customers, focus strategies, and prioritize investments, so do transit systems benefit from conducting market research to identify key market segments and demands.
This Market Analysis is an evaluation of where transit demand is located in the CAT service area. Specifically, this analysis examines:
- The underlying demand for transit services based on population density, job density, demographics, and other factors
- Major transit trip generators
- Where people are traveling from and where they are going
The Market Analysis is the first step in understanding the existing conditions in the CAT service area. This analysis identifies the target market segments for public transit and will guide investment priorities for CAT as part of the CAT 2020 effort.
For more information on the Market Analysis click here for a full version.
CAT 2020 State of the System Assessment
The State of the System is a complete assessment of the existing transit service conditions in CAT’s service area. This provides a foundation of the current opportunities and challenges faced by CAT as the organization seeks to develop a vision for 2020.
This State of the System report provides:
- A review of CAT’s existing bus transit service and operating characteristics.
- An assessment of CAT’s bus ridership at the service type-, route-, and stop-level.
- An assessment of challenges and opportunities with CAT’s bus system.
For more information on the State of the System Assessment click here for a full version.
The anticipated project timeline is show below:
For more information on the CAT 2020 Plan, click here for a project fact sheet.
If you have any questions about the CAT 2020 Plan, please contact CAT at email@example.com
Initial Public Meetings Completed
The first round of CAT 2020 public meetings were held on August 13th and 14th, 2019 in which the public was asked to give feedback on the current bus system. The next round of CAT 2020 public meetings were held on October 30th and 31st, 2019 in which the public was presented with several system redesign concepts and asked to discuss and give feedback on the elements of each alternative plan.
The public will be engaged once again at a later date to discuss and give additional input on a more finalized version of the planned system redesign, which will be based off of prior public feedback.
Below you can find the dates, time, and location of each CAT 2020 public meetings.
CAT 2020 First Round of Public Meetings
- Tuesday August 13th, 2019. 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. at Strawberry Square, located at 320 Market St, Harrisburg, PA 17101.
- Tuesday August 13th, 2019. 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at the Hampden Township Building located at 230 S Sporting Hill Rd, Mechanicsburg, PA 17050.
- Wednesday August 14th, 2019. 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at Strawberry Square, located at 320 Market St, Harrisburg, PA 17101.
CAT 2020 Second Round of Public Meetings
- Wednesday, October 30, 2019 from 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM at Strawberry Square, located at 320 Market St, Harrisburg, PA 17101.
- Wednesday, October 30, 2019 from 4:00 PM – 7:00 PM at Giant Food Stores Community Room, located at 3301 E Trindle Rd, Camp Hill, PA 17011
- Thursday, October 31, 2019 from 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM at Keystone Building, located at 400 North St, Harrisburg, PA 17120.
- Thursday, October 31, 2019 from 3:00 PM – 6:00 PM at Hamilton Health Center Highmark Community Room, located at 110 S 17th St, Harrisburg, PA 17104.